Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Black & White Music Quilt ~ IC 38

Iron Craft is so fun!  This week we were challenged to use black and white.  I decided to do another unfinished project from when I was in high school.  (I'm not sure if I'm bending Iron Craft rules by doing a UFO... I promise next week will have nothing to do with quilting and will be a brand new project!)  


I started making this wall hanging for a teacher of mine... then, sadly, I figured out that this teacher wasn't as supportive as I thought she would be.  Needless to say, I didn't finish it back then, and she won't be getting it now!  =)  


When I was younger and started to quilt I was always looking for the next challenge.  I very rarely used a pattern.  Most of the time I dreamed up ridiculous patterns and did not iron properly when piecing.  This wall hanging is a result... although I should say that I do like the design!!  I can tell you (because I remember how I used to think) that this started on graph paper and was a nine patch.  Then triangles were added because I think they are cool, and they are 'harder' than squares.  Then the nine patch was turned on an angle to allow more triangles around the edges.  If I had more time I'd rummage through my papers to find the design.... maybe later....

Please don't look to see if the corners are all perfect and matching, because they aren't!  The small squares you see are 1 inch squares.


I quilted it a tiny bit because I didn't want to take away from the piecing and the already 'black and white'ness of the quilt.

Added binding and tada! done!

I have to confess that I cheated a bit on the binding.  Normally I sew my binding onto the quilt top and do a hidden stitch by hand on the back.  Lately, as I read more sewing blogs, I've learned the awesomeness of topstitiching.  So I folded the back onto the front and topstitched all the way around.  All in all it worked pretty well, and I'm going to hang it in my music room!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

waggonswest said...

Very nice. You did a great job on the binding.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've done the same way on binding for smaller projects. Learned it from my DH's grandmother. She finished all her quilts that way, even big ones. Cute quilt, and, best of all, IT'S DONE!