Monday, December 2, 2013

Denim Jeans Quilt for my Hubby!!!

Hello Party People!

As most of you know:  I love making things!  Usually I craft/sew for gifts or baby showers or whatever.  My poor husband is so neglected because I've only made him a couple items.  He's really been wanting a big heavy blanket for his lazy boy.  So of course it had to be a jeans quilt.

I researched different tutorials online and didn't really like any of them.....  There were so many wonderful and beautiful quilts, but I was NOT interested in quilting this.  (I saw pictures of poor women using pliers to pull their needles through the denim!  I am just not that dedicated!!!)  I also saw tutorials of people who made intricate designs and matched corners... again I'm not that dedicated!  I bow down to those hard working quilters!!!

After thinking about it long and hard (and believe me I had plenty of time because it took FOREVER to cut up the jeans) I decided how I was going to make this quilt!


comfy and cozy in his chair!!!

I made this using the 'quilt as you go' method that I learned from doing bargello.  It worked out beautifully!  I didn't fight with the quilt and it came together very quickly.  The columns were 72" long and I tried to mismatch colors when I sewed them together.

I used flannel for the middle and back.  I feared that batting would be too thick.  My hubby says the weight of it is just right!

He did help me put the layers together and pin everything.  =)


For the binding I brought the backing to the front and sewed it down.  I mean, why should I make binding and deal with extra layers when I don't have to???  easy peasy. 
(don't you love the grass stains?  these jeans are the real deal.)


I LOVE my long table.  I don't know what I would do without it!

He wanted baby blue for the back and it looks nice!


Oh pretty jeans.  Yeah... most of these were from my college years.  I literally have always been saving jeans to make a quilt.  I honestly don't think I've ever thrown a pair out (gasp!).  I'm sure it was because secretly I knew I would be making a blanket out of them for my future husband {ha}!  If only he knew the bars and clubs places these jeans have been.....


again, loving my long table...  The finished quilt size was around 72" x 64".

another picture for no reason
(I should probably edit out the mess in the background, but I guess it adds to the charm... or something...)


On the back you can see the stitching lines.  I used a variegated blue thread that I think looks pretty good.


 Isn't he so cute and snuggly?  

I really enjoyed making this quilt and I didn't see anything like it online.  I'm thinking of creating a pattern for purchase while on my break from school.  thoughts?

Have a great week!!!
~Andrea

1 comment:

Donna said...

Andrea, love this! You are one clever cookie! Tony is a lucky - and warm - man!